Happy Tuesday! It’s truly been months since I’ve jumped on the Top Ten Tuesday train, but I thought it was about time I hopped back on. And since the topic is quotes, there’s really no better time. So many books blew me away with their writing this year, so it’ll be hard to pick just ten, but alas, here we go!
10. “A creative life is an amplified life. It’s a bigger life, a happier life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life. Living in this manner—continually and stubbornly bringing forth the jewels that are hidden within you—is a fine art, in and of itself.” (Big Magic, Elizabeth Gilbert)
9. “I could never delete my own history, and I would always know exactly where I was and where I had been and I would never wake up not being who I was and it didn’t matter how much or how little I thought I understood the mess of myself, because I would never, no matter what I did, be missing to myself and that was what I had wanted all this time, to go fully missing, but I would never be able to go fully missing—nobody is missing like that, no one has ever had that luxury and no one ever will.” (Nobody is Ever Missing, Catherine Lacey)
8. “Spring adds, summer multiplies, autumn subtracts, winter divides.” (The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell)
7. “It’s a travesty when a woman wastes herself.” (Hausfrau, Jill Alexander Essbaum)
6. “Dates only make us aware of how numbered our days are, how much closer to death we are for each one we cross off. From now on, Punzel, we’re going to live by the sun and the seasons.’ He picked me up and spun me around, laughing.’Our days will be endless.” (Our Endless Numbered Days, Claire Fuller)
5. “I can’t stand it to think my life is going so fast and I’m not really living it.” (The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway)
4. “Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something, learned something, become a better person. Reading makes me smarter. Reading gives me something to talk about later on. Reading is the unbelievably healthy way my attention deficit disorder medicates itself. Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it’s a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it’s a way of making contact with someone else’s imagination after a day that’s all too real. Reading is grist. Reading is bliss.” (I Feel Bad About My Neck, Nora Ephron)
3. “Understanding is but the sum of misunderstandings.” (Sputnik Sweetheart, Haruki Murakami)
2. “Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story.” (Wild, Cheryl Strayed)
1. “I want more of this feeling – fire and wings.” (Good Morning, Midnight, Jean Rhys)
What are your favorite quotes?